There were three entrances to Ephesus; The Magnesian Gate (on the road the house of Mother Mary), the Koressos Gate (at the back of the Stadium) and the harbor.
Engineer and architect J.T Wood discovered the Magnesian gate around 1869 during his search for the Temple of Artemis. The original building was possibly erected in the Doric order with a passageway 3.70m wide and an almost square courtyard on the city side.
Magnesian Gate is the eastern gate of the walls surrounding Ephesus. Panayır Mountain was fortified with Lysimakhos walls consisting of two separate parts which presumed to be built in the different time periods. Magnesia Gate is the only city gate revealed by the excavations done in the prone land located in between Panayır Mountain and Bülbül Mountain.