This elegant monument which was built in 1901, decorates Konak Square and has become the symbol of the city of Izmir. Konac Square is the hub of activities in downtown. The clock has not stopped since it was built.
The clock tower is the official symbol of Izmir. It was built in 1901 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Abdul Hamid II’s accession to the throne. The clock itself was a gift of William II, German Emperor. It is decorated in an elaborate, Ottoman architecture. The tower itself is 25 meters high.
The Ottoman Sultan Abdulhamid II celebrated his silver jubilee in 1901 by building clocks: he had over one hundred elegant towers built in public squares all throughout his realms from Izmir to Jaffa. Although he undertook several reforms, Abdulhamid II was the last Sultan to hold absolute power in Istanbul before being deposed by the Young Turks in 1909. Abdulhamid’s clock towers were grand for their time – three storeys, made of stone, not too garish. The towers intended to be symbols of modernity and projections of Istanbul’s power in the increasingly restive provinces. The sultan also intended to emulate the powers of Western Europe was the model – most notably the highly industrialized Britain, home of Big Ben, which opened in London in 1859, in honour of Queen Victoria. Aleppo's Clock Tower stands near Bab Al Faraj, and was built by the Austrian architect Chartier.
Famous clock tower is on the right at the entrance to Izmir’s Kemeralti Bazaar in Konak. The clock tower was designed by the Levantine French architect Raymond Charles Père Some parts of construction expenses was provided by the people of Izmir and the rest the governor of Izmir.
The tower has carving of a crescent moon and star on its four sides. The tower rests on a circular, base and the platform where the tower is based is lowered from the rest of the area. It has palm trees on north and south directions of the structure. The tower is provided with 12 water taps, 3 in each direction. The tower uses a technology called desalination by which it collects sea water from Aegean Sea and gives out pure drinkable water through the outlet pipes.