House of The Virgin Mary

House of The Virgin Mary
The final stop on the Ephesus tour is usually the House of the Virgin Mary, located high on a airy valley on Bulbul Dagi, (Mount of Nightingales) overlooking Ephesus. According to belief, Saint John brought the Virgin Mary with him when he moved to the Ephesus region, where she lived until her Dormition/Assumption. The site was first described by a Roman Catholic nun, Anne Catherine Emmerich, in the early 1800's. After her death, a book was published in Germany describing her visions.

In 1881, a French priest, using her description of the site, found the remains of the house. It was not discovered again until 1891, and had been a pilgrimage destination since. The lower portion (reddish color stones) are the original portion of the stone foundation. Based on those visions, a number of priests independently discovered the remains on the house on this site. A number of Popes have since declared this a holy site, and it's now a pilgrimage destination for both Christians and Muslims, who also revere Mary as a righteous figure.

The house was discovered through the exploration of Pere Poulin and Young in the year 1882 and formerly its site was predicted by the Bavarian sage.Catherine Emmerich(1774-1824) two years before her death

The House of the Virgin is a sacred site for both Christians and Muslims (Muslims also believe in the virgin birth and honor Mary as the mother of the Prophet Jesus). The shrine is still in the care of the Lazarist Fathers, who celebrate Mass here every day. Two resident nuns also recite the Divine Office daily. The Vatican has recognized this small house in the Solmissos Mountain as the final resting place of the Virgin Mary. A small shrine dedicated to St. Mary was found whe the ruins of the house were first discovered.

The foundation walls date back to the 1st century. The tomb believed to be hers in Jerusalem is known only from the 6th century, and tradition in Ephesus goes back much further and it is said that St John brought her here between AD 37 and AD 45. The present structure contains a chapel.

House of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin MaryHouse of The Virgin Mary


Related Pages