Arcadian Street or Arcadian Way was constructed in the Hellenistic Period, but then was restored during the reign of the Emperor Arcadius (395-408 AD.), from whom it takes its present name. It runs between the Harbour Baths and the great theatre. Entering from the port, traders and sailors would first arrive in this street.
It was designed with marble slabs and colonnades. The street was 530 meters (1739 ft) long and 11 meters (36 ft) wide, and on both sides of the street there were shops, galleries, and gates in the form of monumental arches. There were four higher columns with the statues of four apostles on the top. Fifty streetlights lit up its colonnades and water, making only one of three lighted street at that time (Rome and Antioch had the other two). Beneath the marble flagstones ran sewerage channels ran.